Topics: The End Tail, Reality & Perception, Peter’s Laws, Beating Procrastination, Turmeric Tea
BY HENDRIK MUSEKAMP
Photo by Cole Hutson
Hi you crazy munchkins! It’s Friday. Hence, here is your weekly dose of hmx-weekly, a list of what I’m enjoying, pondering, or working on.
THE END TAIL
The End Tail by Tim Urban. If you’re about to reconsider priorities for the next year this piece will be a good read to include. I’ve shared this before, and stumbled upon it last week. Still find the graphics revealing, even scary. Somehow reminds me of a John Mayer song. These are the conclusions the author takes:
1) Living in the same place as the people you love matters. I probably have 10X the time left with the people who live in my city as I do with the people who live somewhere else.
2) Priorities matter. Your remaining face time with any person depends largely on where that person falls on your list of life priorities. Make sure this list is set by you—not by unconscious inertia.
3) Quality time matters. If you’re in your last 10% of time with someone you love, keep that fact in the front of your mind when you’re with them and treat that time as what it actually is: precious.
WHAT REALITY ARE YOU CREATING FOR YOURSELF?
“Reality isn’t something you perceive; it’s something you create in your mind. Isaac Lidsky learned this profound lesson firsthand, when unexpected life circumstances yielded valuable insights. In this introspective, personal talk, he challenges us to let go of excuses, assumptions and fears, and accept the awesome responsibility of being the creators of our own reality.”
- When given a choice… take both!
- Perfection is not optional.
- Fail early, fail often, fail forward.
- When faced without a challenge, make one.
TRICKS TO BEAT PROCRASTINATION
- Which one of these will make the rest of my to do’s easier or irrelevant?
- What is the next physical action? (GTD)
- How can you lower your standards to make sure you’re going to succeed?
- How can you install positive constraints, e.g. time-constraints?